A View of Quioccasin Baptist Church!

In 1866, a small group of freed African Americans left the balcony of the Deep Run Baptist Church to establish their own place for worship. That group met on the land of Mr. & Mrs. Leroy Vandervall where they worshipped under a bush arbor and later in the Vandervall smokehouse.

Mr. & Mrs. Vandervall donated land and logs to build the first sanctuary. Out of hew logs, Mr. Frederick Morse, Sr., erected the sanctuary. The letters "Quioccasin" were found carved on a tree on an old Indian trail near the Vandervall home and it was selected as the name of the church. Later the same name was officially selected for the road in front of the church. In 1867, the congregation with their minister Reverend Royal Smith held their first worship service in the new sanctuary.

In 1872, the congregation purchased an acre of land and in 1929 another acre was purchased. These two acres of land comprise the current site on which the second church sanctuary was built.

On the first Sunday in February 1952, the church building was destroyed by fire and services were held in the old Quioccasin Elementary School at the corner of Pemberton & Quioccasin Roads. In June 1952, the first worship service was held in the basement of the present church building. And, on Easter Sunday morning in 1954, the congregation held its worship service in the main sanctuary. The present church building was erected by Mr. George Gee of the Arlington Construction Company.

In 2004, the congregation, under the pastoralship of Rev. Andrew M. Mosley, Jr., erected a multiple purpose building that seats 400 people for banquet events and includes a full size basketball court. This multiple purpose building serves as a tool for ministry.

Quioccasin Baptist Church has been served by eight dynamic, strong and influential pastors’ since its beginning. Following Reverend Royal Smith (the first pastor) were Rev. Warrenton Banks, Rev. O. C. Perkins, Dr. George Ambrose, Jr., Dr. Grady W. Powell, Rev. Murphy H. Peterson, and Dr. Joe B. Fleming. The current pastor is Dr. Andrew M. Mosley, Jr.

DOCUMENT NOTE: The information presented herein was compiled from historical documents perserved by Quiocassin Baptist Church. 8/10/04

PHOTO NOTE: On June 19, 2005, Mrs. Brenda Dabney Nichols, great-great granddaughter and family, presented the church an original copy of the September 1872 deed which was for land purchased to build a church. There were three trustees who completed this transaction: Frederick Morse, William Bradford and Frank Jones. The deed, which is pictured above, was presented to the Quioccasin Baptist Church Family in memory of Mr. Morse on Fathers Day 2005.

Visit Quioccasin Basptist Church at:

9011 Quioccasin Road, Richmond, Virginia
804 741-2313 (office) - 804 741-1501 (fax)
QBC@quioccasin.org